Rental Assistance

Find possible help with Rental Assistance, Emergency Housing, HUD, Eviction Prevention,  And Money For Security Deposits

Broome County Social Services off assistance with emergency housing. Call 778-3123 36-38 Main St. Binhamton


Public housing was established to provide decent and safe rental housing for eligible low-income families, the elderly, and persons with disabilities.  

Public housing is limited to low-income families and individuals. An HA determines your eligibility based on: 1) annual gross income; 2) whether you qualify as elderly, a person with a disability, or as a family; and 3) U.S. citizenship or eligible immigration status. If you are eligible, the HA will check your references to make sure you and your family will be good tenants.

HUD sets the lower income limits at 80% and very low income limits at 50% of the median income for the county or metropolitan area in which you choose to live. Income limits vary from area to area so you may be eligible at one HA but not at another. The HA serving your community can provide you with the income levels for your area and family size, or you can also find the income limits here on the internet.

If you are interested in applying for public housing, contact HUD Department Of Planning
Paul Nelson, Department Head Rental Assistance (HUD)
3111 E. Main St.
Endwell, NY  13760-5990
Phone:  (607) 786-2985
Fax:  (607) 748-0041

Binghamton Area Eviction Prevention, Rent Assistance, Security Deposits Assistance

Opportunities for Broome Inc. Offers the Housing Assistance and Support Program (HASP). The fund will provide financial assistance for people who live in rental units who may be facing a housing or utility crisis, or who need help paying rent. Qualified individuals can get financial help as well as case management support. Call (607)723-6493

Catholic Social Services of Broome County Offers limited emergency assistance for bills and expenses, infant foster care, adoption services, parent education, referrals and information on New York and federal government programs, marriage enrichment, free food, and other aid. Phone (607) 729-9166

BHA is a local Broome County organization that may also be able to help with emergency rental assistance for families to reside in clean, decent and affordable housing units. Address is 36 Exchange St. Binghamton, New York 13901, telephone: 607-723-9491

The Salvation Army, Binghamton Corps. Provide basic material needs; 24 hour per-day emergency assistance and limited financial aid; access to food pantries and soup kitchens, National Missing Persons Bureau; and adult and youth development assistance programs. Phone (607) 722-2987

Housing Advocate (Mental Health Assn) Assists homeless in getting safer shelter and other services. Call 771-8888

Volunteers of America (Emergency Housing for Families) Provides 1,2 and 3 bedroom furnished apartments fro couples, singles parents with one or more children. Available to people rendered homeless for any particular reason. Can possibly help with: permanent housing that is safe, clean and affordable also aid in help with regaining employment. Must apply first – Call 771-1156 for Men 16+yrs call 772-1156



  1. I need to know where I can go to get help with security deposit

Speak Your Mind


Copyright © 2013 Broome County Resources For Low Income Families - All Rights Reserved - Design by Just Married with Graphics